Tuesday, March 20, 2018

This is an unsolicted plug for a browser add on

Several weeks ago, I got tired of being chased around the web by a pair of wool leggings. Yes, I'd briefly looked at some on an e-commerce site. But that shouldn't allow merchants to dump pictures and links on every site I visited. Or so I thought ...

So, I installed Privacy Badger on my main web browser. The simple gizmo is offered free from the Electronic Frontier Foundation which fights for civil liberties in the digital world.

No more leggings or many other small ads not already caught by AdBlock! There have been no problems with web sites loading, though some may be a hair slow.

I get that much of what we enjoy on the web has no business model except to sell us to advertisers. But unless advertisers can figure out how to make their offerings attractive instead of mind numbing, we'll keep on trying to block.

UPDATE 4/2020: Try this for a more up-to-date article on ad blockers.

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

Glad to see your blog back as it was. for some weird reason it was showing up in a different form, not updating and no comment place. The internet is enough to drive me nuts-- wish it wasn't so essential these days. I have a feeling someday it'll all be gone as we've known it. The nature of life is change-- multiply that by 10 where it comes to the internet.