Saturday, October 08, 2016

Not shocked

I suppose I am supposed to have some sort of opinion about the Donald's pussy grabbing video. As a feminist from the era when the graphic at left was commonplace, I can't say I'm shocked or even slightly surprised. Unless they've undergone major re-education by women, I assume that young males, and those older ones suffering arrested development, all harbor the sort of deplorable desires Trump reveled in in 2005.

There seems no reason to assume Trump has grown beyond his infantile stage and considerable reason to suspect he hasn't.

Nicholas Kristof reports an earlier Trump episode from a woman who tried to do business with the big baby:

... Harth continued to meet Trump for business — and, she says, he continued to try to jump her. “He’d say, ‘Let’s go in my room, I want to lie down,’ and he’d pull me along. I’d say, ‘I don’t want to lie down,’ and it would turn into a wrestling match. … I remember yelling, ‘I didn’t come here for this.’ He’d say, ‘Just calm down.’”

Harth says that she worried about being raped by a man who weighed twice as much as she did, and at one point she vomited as a defense mechanism. But she says that he was never violent and genuinely seemed to assume sexual interest on her part; often he was playful as she was frightened: “His mind was in a totally different place than mine,” Harth recalls. “He thinks he’s God’s gift to women.”

So they think, until taught to think differently. Fortunately, more and more men are raised to think differently.
***
While hunting for the graphic, I learned the phrase is commonly attributed to Gloria Steinem, although Wikipedia sources it to an Australian woman, Irina Dunn. I had always connected it with Alison Bechdel. That just shows you where I get my culture.

No comments: