Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wright was right


It always seemed to me that Rev. Jeremiah Wright, President-elect Obama's outspoken former pastor, made a lot of sense. Oh, not the stuff about AIDS being an invention of U.S. spooks -- but certainly his response to 9/11.

"You cannot do terrorism on other people and expect it never to come back on you."

Apparently he's right about his former parishioner as well:

"Politicians say what they say and do what they do based on electability, based on sound bites, based on polls."

Washington Post,
April 28. 2008

What else can I think of the President-elect when he gives that religious huckster Rick Warren the job of praying open his inauguration? I guess I could think that Obama really does think gay people are scum, but that seems unlikely -- he's smart and sophisticated. So he must just think we're expendable.

Warren is not only a professional homophobe who cut a video full of ignorant ahistorical bullshit about the Bible and history to urge support for Prop. 8 -- he's also a right wing nut. He claims to object to torture, but recently told Beliefnet that he never got around to raising the issue with his buddy George W. Bush. He recently agreed on TV with the idea that the U.S. should "take out" the annoying President of Iran. Some man of God this guy!

Yeah -- that other annoying pastor, Jeremiah Wright, might have had a right idea. He claimed to have said to Obama:

'If you get elected, November the 5th, I'm coming after you, because you'll be representing a government whose policies grind under people.'

Sounds about right to me. Obama will be as a good a president as aroused people make him be -- not one whit better.

3 comments:

Neil said...

Right on!

This is deeply disappointing.

Jane R said...

Ugh!

Anonymous said...

When I heard this on the radio this morning, I said to myself "I bet Jan is going to have something to say about this."

I was willing to cut Obama a lot of slack at the beginning, but not with this one.

Darn, once again I’ve misplaced the instructions for embedding a URL. Anyway, here’s the URL to send a message to the Obama transition team. http://change.gov/page/content/contact/

Here’s what I sent:
I can understand the reaching out to evangelicals, but the invitation to Rick Warren to give the invocation -- an incredibly highly visible position -- is a slap in the face to all the lesbians and gays and their friends who worked so hard on your campaign, often to the detriment of our own LGBT self-interest (i.e., working to defeat Prop. 8 in California and other similarly oppressive ballot measures elsewhere in the nation).